Monday, January 10, 2011

South Africa

I've been in South Africa for over two weeks now.  It has been an extremely unique and fascinating experience so far.  I feel lucky to be able to call this a study abroad trip, and receive college credit for it.  I have learned so much about the apartheid and how that shaped the South African culture.  How they have come back from that is an amazing thing to learn about.  South Africa ended apartheid only about 16 years ago.  Being here, I have learned that they have a long way to go financially, and a lot of work to do in the education system, but they have come extremely far in forgiveness, spirit, and hope.  To describe my experience in words would be impossible, but I can show some of my photos that can show a fraction of what I have done and encountered. 

No big deal, just the view from my street outside my house.

Some beautiful music on the train.  All of the art and music everywhere I go has been one of my favorite things about South Africa.  Beauty is EVERYWHERE.


We saw this crazy parade in downtown Cape Town.  

Muizenberg Beach

Getting some major weeding done at MaAfrika, the place where we are doing our service learning.  It has been the best part of this trip so far.  

Like I said, beauty if everywhere.  These girls hang out at MaAfrika everyday and dance with us.  They are so talented.

Once again, this has been amazing so far.  I don't want to leave this amazing country.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, these look so much better here on your blog. FB doesn't do them justice. Can't wait to see all of them.

    ReplyDelete